What Culture Am I a Part of Anyway?

Being an American living in Southern Italy - Sicily to be exact, it's common to feel that I stick out like a sore thumb here. I mean, you don't even need to talk to me and Alan to figure out that we don't belong here, you just have to look at us walking down the street. Granted there are some fair-haired, fair-skinned, light-eyed Italians, but not many. Take into account that Alan and I are both pasty white, have blue eyes and he's 6'6'', and needless to say we attract a lot of attention here. :)

But, I'm not just talking about looks. Italy is a beautiful country, and her people are beautiful people, and yes, on the surface their culture doesn't seem that different from American culture.  I suppose when you compare it to Middle Eastern or Asian culture it is much more similar, but it's vastly different at the same time.

I'm not here to talk about the specific differences between our two cultures, but I will say that being from one culture and living in another has made me more aware of what it means to not belong to this world. As the classic, old hymn goes, "This world is not my home, I'm just a passing through."

One thing that I have noticed, getting to live in this out-of-my-own-culture situation, we tend to blame culture for a lot of things. And honestly, I'm not so sure I'm comfortable with that. Granted, it's a well-known fact that conservative Christians in America stay away from alcohol like it's the plague, and well....that doesn't go over so well here in Italian culture where they drink a glass a wine with their lunch/dinner.  I don't want to get into this debate, but I will say this...drinking is not a sin, as stated in the Bible, it's the drunkeness that is. However, I think if you choose to stay away from it or to have an occassional glass that's your personal decision. You know your limits and the consequences. Personally, I do not drink, but it's not because I believe it's a sin, it's because of seeing what alcohol has done to people I am related to and how it has long-term effects on everyone around. I would rather not let that ever be a possibility for me, but I am also aware that this is a personal decision that I cannot force on anyone else.

However, there are other situations that people blame on culture that I just can't seem to "culturally" base.  One for example is modesty.  Many of the Italians that I know (Christian Italians) think that we Americans are ridiculously modest.  Well, I'm not sure from where they got that idea, but I would guess it's because most of the Americans they have met have been Christians who are here on missionary campaigns are are usually dressed very modestly.  I have then been told that it's okay in this culture to show more skin etc etc. That it's not a problem here for men, because it's part of the culture. My only question is, if it's not a problem for men (as in men aren't drawn to it) why are there so many nude or almost nude women on advertisements all around the city, and why are the commercials so provocative? Maybe, because it works? It gets men (and women's) attention. I dunno. It's just a guess here, but I think marketers know what sells.

These types of conversations just got me thinking...okay, so I'm American, and I don't wear and never have worn butt shorts and whatever other thing is all the fashion and immodest. Why? Well, personally, I don't think it's modest, but I also wouldn't want to be wearing that if I was going out for a walk with Jesus, and, well...aren't I? Isn't God ever present. No secret is hidden from Him? Shouldn't I act all the time like I would act if Jesus was hanging out with me for the day? Should I really wear clothing that might make some people struggle with keeping their thoughts where they should be? Isn't my body God's temple? Shouldn't I honor it instead of trying to draw attention to it inappropriately?

And here's the kicker question.....which culture am I a part of anyways? America's? England's? Italy's? Or God's?

Ahh...so yeah, Rachel, even though you were born in America, partially grew up in England, and now live in Italy, you're part of God's culture. Doesn't that mean I'm held to (often) higher standards than our own culture. Yeah, I think it does. Does that mean I'll be counter-cultural sometimes with the culture I'm living in or the culture I'm from? Yeah, I think  it means I'll be counter-cultural a lot of times.

So you might be thinking, "Come on Rachel, aren't you a little strict. That might be immodest to you, but it's not to me." You're right, let's not hold it to "The Rachel Standard," but instead to "God's standard." What's your motive for wearing clothes like that? Would God approve? Are you honoring your body as the holy temple that God has called it? Are you respecting others by what you wear?

And here's a verse for thought:
1Corinthians 6:19-20 "Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you, whom you have from God? You are not your own,  for you were bought with a price. So glorify God in your body."

The thing is....we Christians are all from different cultures, whether you came from the North, the South, a different country, a different family, etc etc. But, we are all called to the same culture. A Christian culture that strives to seek out God's will and follow His teachings.


So yeah, I think we should stop using "that's just how it's done here" or "that's the culture there" as our excuse. I know I've been guilty of it in the past, but I also know that even though I'm American I don't participate in all "culturally-deemed appropriate" or "normal" activities. Because, ultimately my first citizenship is not the good old US of A. It's a heavenly citizenship thanks to the love, grace, and mercy of Jesus Christ my Lord and Savior who I plan on worshiping for all of my days. And one of those ways that I can worship him is by honoring and obeying Him.



PS. I did not write this article to attack Italian culture. All of the things above are equally applicable in American culture and I'm sure many others. I just find that since I am a foreigner here, many Italians want to discuss cultural differences (which I love to do). These conversations have just started me thinking along this line. That is all.

PPS. I wrote the majority of this article focusing on modestly. There are many other issues that are appropriate to this topic. For me, this was an easier one to illustrate. It's not really meant to be a lesson on modestly, but a way for me to share how I came to realize that I'm not part of this worldly culture, and I'm called to a different one. Hope that was clear!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Italian Bible Project

Lessons, Learning, and Life

Sicilian Summers